Thursday, August 29, 2019

Summer flies by

Summer is such a short, sweet season where I live.  Next Tuesday my kids all go back to school and it already feels like fall temperatures have arrived.  Summer is a very busy season but some sewing still happened.
 I am finally making good progress on the last applique border for my signature quilt.  Can I finish this before the end of the year?
 I finished block 6 of Barbara Brackman's Hospital Sketches. 
 Here they are all together.  I haven't had a chance to start block #7 yet and yesterday block #8 was released.  Yikes - now I'm behind!
 I wanted to join in a handquilted doll quilt swap on Instagram.  It was fun to play with my reproduction scraps.  I made 4 blocks and set them on point.
 I'm working on the handquilting part now and I'm almost finished.  A nice break from quilting my trailing vines...
We spent the last 2 weeks on vacation - driving around Washington State and the province British Columbia.  I was determined to fit one good quilt shop into the itinerary and found Two Thimbles Quilt Shop in Bellingham, WA  They had a whole room full of reproduction fabrics!  It was marvellous  :0)   
 A few pieces to remember my visit. 
 I loved the time we spent at Deception Pass State park - it was beautiful!
 We did the touristy thing in Seattle.  I found a shop window full of these old sewing machines.  I wanted to try them all out.  It makes for an interesting display but it makes me sad that they aren't getting sewn with.
 While away I found inspiration for applique/handquilting motifs in a few unlikely places.  This was a gorgeous set of doors in Port Townsend.

And this is a part on an authentic Venetian gondola on display at the Italian cultural centre in Vancouver. 
I'm hoping that more time for stitching lies ahead!
Happy Quilting!!

8 comments:

Barb said...

yay you say your tree stump.
looks like you had a great get away and I always love to see your pretty applique projects.
Your blue star quilt is beautiful.
I'd love to visit two thimbles one day looks like a great shop.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Your Hospital Sketches blocks are so beautiful! I adore what you did with the pineapple block! I've been keeping up by the skin of my teeth! That little mini quilt is going to be as sweet as can be! Love those little stars.

Lori said...

Two Thimbles is a terrific shop! Glad you found some goodies!!
Your hospital blocks are so pretty and elegant! Love your little twinkling stars. I know the recipient with be thrilled with it.
You look fantastic!!

Kyle said...

What great times you had on your family vacation. No quilt on your special tree this year, just you sweet girls. You found some fabulous fabrics at the quilt shop. I saw some Di fabrics in your souvenir. Your hospital blocks are lovely and look smashing altogether. Someone will adore your sweet doll quilt. Lucky them! You'll have more time on your hands soon. Enjoy those precious family moments.

Karen said...

I have seen pictures of the window of sewing machines. Love it and would like to see it in person. I would want to take them all home though. There is a fabric shop in North Carolina with a ledge near the ceiling all around the big fabric room. It is loaded with antique and vintage sewing machines. Not for sale but oh so interesting to look at and study.

Radka said...

Those 6 blocks together look really fabulous! And I like the look of your border in the top picture, I will love to see all of it, so pretty :-)
xx

Dawn said...

Wonderful vacation!
LOVE the venetian gondola motif. Really special.
As always your quilting is beautiful.

The Quilted Finish said...

Firstly I'd like to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Having not posted for 2 years I really didn't expect anyone for drop by at all!
Well Im delighted you did because I have now come to your blog and thoroughly enjoyed looking at and reading about all your projects. Your Hospital Sketches blocks are really beautiful! I love your pineapple block. Your little star quilt will be lovely. I skipped further on and really love the quilt you finished and quickly put on your bed, such pretty fabrics. I do love the green with your little star a day blocks but it also does very well with the tree blocks too. I will certainly be visiting your blog again! Cheers, Rowena