Wednesday, December 18, 2019

reproductions

One more post before the end of the year - its hard to believe 2019 is almost over.  
When I was in Houston in November I had the opportunity to attend a lecture given by Leah Zieber.  It was so very interesting!  She had many, many small, vintage and antique doll quilts and crib quilts to show us.  She had 2 items that instantly brought me back this - my Susan McCord Trailing vines quit.
 I'm slowly working away at handquilting it - outlining all the leaves takes lots of time!  I'm working down panel #5 out of 13.  But back to Leah's lecture - take note of the sashing fabric.
 It's exactly the same print as this darling little antique child's dress that Leah brought from her collection.
 And the same on the back of this small doll quilt also in Leah Zieber's collection.

 I was so excited to see the original fabric this reproduction was made from in not only one but 2 items sewn around the 1850's.  The repro is by Margo Krager for Blue hill Fabrics.  I was pretty excited...  It is hard to find someone who understands my excitement - lol

 I've been steadily working on putting together my Hospital Sketches BOM.  I added a border of red and cream hst's.  Triangle paper helped it go quickly.
 Then I am adding an appliqued border.  I'm designing it as I go using shapes from the blocks.  It is in the style of the border of the Buhl Bushong quilt from the Virginia Quilt museum.  (they are having a sewalong but I could NOT start another project)  I saw 2 antique quilts in the exhibits in Houston that also had borders like this.  It's been fun to applique and I'm enjoying revisiting some of the flower shapes and adding birds.
 I made a couple of Canadian themed pincushions to give as gifts.  I tried out my idea in 2 sizes.
Little projects can be so satisfying :0)
Happy Quilting!!

7 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Always lovely projects to see here. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas from me!

Kyle said...

Oh, yes, I feel your excitement. You were so fortunate to see that little dress and then for you to have the matching fabric as your sashing! Love how you're designing your applique borders. Its going to be stunning.

Lynn S said...

Your border for Hospitals Sketches is stunning! As are the blocks!

Barb said...

I understand how excited you must have been. I am not sure in my vast collection of double pinks if I have that one. I'll have to check. It is wonderful and I also love to see your vines projects.
Beautiful designing on your HS borders.
Sweet little pin cushions!

Lori said...

I recall seeing that pink! How cool you used the repro!! I love that vines quilt and the hospital sketches. Merry Christmas, lovely lady.

Phyllis said...

I love double pinks and I do understand your excitement. Your works is beautiful as usual and I admire your patience. That quilt will be awesome.

audrey said...

I love reproduction fabrics. What a fun connection for you! Makes me so sad that one of my favorite stores chalk full of reproduction fabrics closed down last year! I just don't tend to buy many fabrics online. Your red/white triangle border is a wonderful bridge between that GORGEOUS applique border than you are sewing together! Wowsers. It really sings. The Bushong quilt is wonderful inspiration. I've been drooling over the ones being posted lately.