Thursday, October 31, 2013

small new project

The new issue of American Patchwork and Quilting arrived in the mail the other day.  I flipped it open to this project by Kim Diehl and without even looking at the rest of the magazine I went down to pull fabrics from my stash to make it.   
This is one quarter of the applique done.  It should be a quick project.  A gift for Christmas. (if I get it done)
The directions are for machine applique but I chose what I find more relaxing - to applique by hand.  I did try one new thing :0)  I basted the straight stems on by machine.  It worked well - I would do it again.  I should try new things more often...

Happy Halloween!

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

coffee table cover up

I finished my cover-it-up coffee table runner.  
 I even fussy cut a little birdie for one of the stars :0)
 I did very simple machine quilting.  The more hand quilting I do the less I like my machine quilting!!  Oh well, I can't hand quilt everything and this quilt will get used hard in its spot on the coffee table.
I love the intense fall colors of this little quilt.  As you can see we don't have a lot left outside anymore...
It almost completely covers the top of the table, the worn spots are well hidden and the drawers on the front are easily accessible.  Done!

Happy Quilting!!

Friday, October 18, 2013

Bird of Paradise blocks done

After a few years, I finally finished 20 blocks for my Bird of Paradise quilt.  I started with the Threadbear pattern but made changes. Five of the blocks are of my own design. I included my DH, my 3 daughters and 1 son.  I'd be elated if these blocks were really completed but...  there is a lot of embroidery to do on them yet and I really don't enjoy embroidery.  I shouldn't have left it all to do at the end.
 I think this is how I want to lay out the blocks - I have played around with them a lot.  I would just love to sew them together and start on the borders but I suspect the embroidery would be even harder to do then. 
My son's block was the last one.  I pondered a long time what to put in his block.  I decided on a fishing rod  after this summer as he enjoyed catching many fish.  My drawing was like this first picture but it turned out too empty and boring.
So I added a couple butterflies.  I hadn't included any in the other blocks but I wanted more color and I thought he would approve of butterflies over flowers  :0)

So, I guess I better go find some floss and an embroidery needle...

Thursday, October 3, 2013

some progress

I finished all of the red/orange and black stars I needed for the border.  I love this simple block :0)  I decided on rail fence blocks for the center of the runner and I chose a stack of fabrics from my stash and got started.
 After laying out the first batch together with the stars I wondered if maybe I should include some black in the center too.
 I think it works better - it helps tie the 2 parts together.
So I made some more...  At this rate I might have a finished top by next week.
Happy Quilting!!