Tuesday, June 18, 2013

slow progress

Every spring, soccer season arrives at our house and I get crazy busy.  This week is the first week that's not so crazy.  Finally, I have time to post.
 
Soccer season is also a good time of year to work on my hand pieced star project. I work on this at soccer practices and at the orthodontist...  everywhere.  Slowly it is growing.  I'm a bit stuck for pink at the moment.  There hasn't been much for new pretty repro pinks lately. I am always using pink so my supply is getting low.  Also, I was hoping to make all of these stars different without repeating fabrics.  Hopefully I will find some quilt shops in my summer travels :0)
 
 It's such a fun, portable project!

I have also been doing a little hand quilting.  I remembered to get out my Harmony top to finish it.  I basted it with a little scrap of wool batting I had lying around.  Maybe wool wasn't the best choice for a quilt of this size - lol.  It's a little too textured (puffy) for my liking.
 I am now going in the other direction to complete the crosshatching.  Maybe more quilting will flatten it a bit.  It sure is easy to needle and a relaxing project to work on in the evening after a busy day.
 
 I made another Solomon's Temple block.  So fun to piece!
 
 This weekend we went on our annual fishing/camping trip.  It was a bit windy, cold and wet but I did manage to take a few stitches in my favorite spot by the lake.  I am almost 1/2 way done panel 7 for my Trailing Vines quilt. 
Slow progress is still progress!!

Happy Quilting!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the stars. You do beautiful hand work. I inherited a strip of stars about the size you have but I haven't figured out what to do with it yet.

Dorothy said...

I have been interested in making the Solomon Temple block but can't find a pattern for it. Can you tell me if you drafted it up or got it from somewhere? Have you joined your vines together yet? I'm very slowly quilting mine.

Cheri said...

These stars are so pretty!

Every Stitch said...

I love your hand quilting cross hatching - doesn't look too puffy for me - gives it a lovely added dimension. And your stars are gorgeous together - such a jewelled colleciton! So many different projects and all so beautiful!!
Hilda

Jane in Cumbria said...

Your stars are beautiful, and so is your hand quilting. I like the Solomon's Temple blocks too.

Dixie Howard said...

Love your star quilt - I have templates made, but haven't start making any. Your other projects in progress look great too! I think I got more accomplished when my girls were small - I wonder why that is?? :)

Lori said...

I love every one of your projects!! I'm glad to see you hand quilting harmony. It is lovely.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Those Solomon's Temple blocks are gorgeous! I love the colours!!

Miranda said...

mmmmmmm from marvelous!

MARCIE said...

Oh be still my heart! I love your stars! And everything else you do! LOL! I have lots of pink and can send you some. Tell me what size squares you need per block. Maybe I will have something that you don't have.

Sue SA said...

Love your six pointed stars, what a fabulous layout. Do you take the papers out as you go, to make it easier to fold up?

antique quilter said...

those stars are so pretty, if you need some pinks I can send you some squares pieces tell me the size you need.
love the Harmony quilting and oh the vine is looking soooo good.
Kathie

Janet said...

I hope you were not affected by the floods! Take care.

Janet

Teresa Rawson said...

Your vine project is really coming along! And those Solomon's Temple blocks are really talking to me...

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Carrie P. said...

your stars are gorgeous!