Wednesday, February 25, 2015

a lovely antique

I had the privilege to see this wonderful antique quilt this week at my guild meeting.  Wow, am I ever glad I didn't have to miss guild!  I had only my phone with me for a camera so the pictures aren't that great.  But the quilt... was marvelous!!
 It was very well loved and had a couple holes in it. 
 The red fabric as well as the flower centers were shredding but the beauty of this quilt takes my breath away.  Can you see the corded binding? The covering fabric was pretty much gone leaving the blue cord showing.
 Quilts like this I usually only get to see in books or online.  It was so soft - the texture was wonderful!
 It was very densely quilted. 
 I wasn't able to get a good shot of the full quilt (kicking myself about that)  The border only ran around 3 sides.
I want to make quilts like this!  I simply must finish one of my applique projects so I can start something like this.  I'm feeling very inspired!
 

Happy quilting!!


9 comments:

julieQ said...

Gorgeous, isn't it....just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing it!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh how lovely! So glad you had your camera with you. I agree quilts do get better with age.

Barb said...

what a beauty! This would be a great quilt to reproduce. So lovely and the quilting is stunning!
unusual 6 block design too -
thanks for sharing this beauty!

Kyle said...

I'm so glad you had your phone along with you so you could share these pictures. What a gorgeous quilt. It would be a wonderful one to reproduce. When do we get started! :0)

Karen said...

So much quilting on the antique quilt. Beautiful red and green.

Lori said...

That is very lovely! So wonderful that the quilting is dense and has preserved the quilt so well.

Every Stitch said...

Absolutely beautiful! and only two solid fabrics gives extra impact I think ...but always hard to be so restrained :)
What a treat - thanks for showing us

Janet said...

I love the Rose of Sharon quilts and they so often did the dense quilting on antique quilts. It's beautiful.

Dixie Howard said...

You got some great photos, Janet! Thank you for sharing them with us. I can practically feel the quilt, and you're right - so inspiring!