Monday, November 9, 2015

16 circle blocks

This is the not-from-the-pattern block that my friend and I made to go in our Circle Game quilt.  I love how it turned out.  
 So here are all 16 blocks together. I will likely play with this arrangement before I trim and sew them together.  Also, I might decide to make 4 more blocks to make this quilt a more useable size for our family. 
 I have decided to not do the border as per the pattern. (Circle Game by Jen Kingwell)  I think this quilt is busy enough and I would like to find a dark navy print to use for a border.  I'll have to see what I can find.
 So the comments from my last post were interesting :0)  Thanks!  Here is my son's costume.  He wanted to dress up as Ethane - a hydrocarbon.  I've never sewn a costume like that before. I'm not sure how successful it was but he had fun Trick or Treating in it.  A few of our neighbors "got it" ( there are people who work in the Oil and Gas industry in our neighborhood)  My son's latest interest has been chemistry.  I never cease to be surprised by the things that interest an 11 year old boy :0)
Katy's guess was pretty good - an organic chemical compound.  Send me your address Katy and I will put together a package of some quilty things.
I thought I would also include a picture of our guild's charity quilt made using Elizabeth Hartman's Fancy Fox pattern.  It turned out really well I think. 

Happy Quilting!!

15 comments:

audrey said...

Love your circle game blocks! I can see why you'd want a calm border for them.:) Very unique Halloween costume! Love it when kids have enough self confidence to go with their true interests!

Susan said...

Your circle game blocks look great. I also agree about the border, and think navy would be a good choice. Very inventive costume, and very clever that you made it. Never tire of seeing different versions of the fox quilt.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I remember reading about the Circle quilt when it was started ! :) Wow that is some costume! Creative Mommy = Creative Kid! :)

Lori said...

What a fun and unique costume!!
I think a navy border will pull together the circle quilt without competing with the gorgeous blocks.

Kyle said...

Your blocks look terrific altogether. Each one is a complex combination of design and color. Cool costume for a creative guy. Save that picture when he he's his PH.D. In chemistry.

Every Stitch said...

I had a laugh at your son's costume - aren't they funny at that age!?
Your blocks look amazing together. I also like your idea of the navy border - good luck finding just the right one.
What a great charity quilt - well done!

Cheri said...

Circle game has come together so nice. What a piecing feat, the navy blue border will frame it perfectly. Cute costume funny what boys come up with. Glad he had fun.

Dawn said...

I think a calm border will be perfect for your circles. Love the costume! Great to have an interest in chemistry and be creative. Congrats to,your winner. Have a great week!!

Barb said...

Congrats on finishing all those circle blocks! wow!! your original blocks is great and fits right in.
Ethane is so cute as a hydrocarbon - great job on a unique costume.
cute fox quilt!

Karen said...

Everyone of those circle blocks are good in design and executed well.

Redfinch said...

I have read your blog for years, and have always admired your workmanship. But your Circle Quilt takes the cake! I anticipated each succeeding block, especially this last one... Minick and Simpson are my favorite Moda artists--what a lovely way to limit your color palette and show off your piecing detail. You've made me add this pattern to my quilt bucket list! Can't wait to see your finishing decisions. Will you hand quilt it? Ruth in FL

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Your Circle Game is awesome--my favorite color combination! I never would have guessed the costume--chemistry was not my forte--haha!

Doniene said...

I really like the circle game blocks!! Great colors and I think a dark navy border would set it off grandly!!

Blessings and hugs!

JohnR said...

Great costume! I didn't expect that Ethane could be so scary.

Teresa Rawson said...

I love your Circle Game quilt! Each block is so unique and wonderfully scrappy. Is that Prairie Paisley fabric ( or some name like that...I have a whole box of those fabrics, just waiting for me...). I really love how they sparkle in your project!