Thursday, May 12, 2016

long arm basting

I did it!  With the help of a very patient friend/instructor I basted my Bird of Paradise quilt with a long arm machine.  It was fast, it only took an hour. It was fun!  The cost was very reasonable - $30.  I will definitely do this again.  It was so much better than my usual, horrible 3-4 evening ordeal down on my knees on the dining room floor.
The long arm machine was so fun to use. 
 
I will confess it seemed bizarre to see this top loaded up on the machine - I almost forgot to take pictures.
 
We set the stitch length to 1 inch and all I had to do was guide it across in a straight line.  The lines of stitching are between 2 - 3 inches apart going in horizontal rows.  I debated reloading and also basting vertical rows as that is how I baste by hand but the instructor thought this would be secure enough. 
It was a wet, rainy day so this afternoon I sat down to start quilting so I could see if the basting was going to work out. It's good so far. Lots and lots of outline quilting will come first and then some kind of background fill.  So far so good!! 
I love the backing fabric.  I found it on sale 4 years ago and I love that its the perfect color, a beautiful print and it has birds on it as well.  Happily I bought enough :0)
 
I finished all of the applique for this other project.  I guess I've been calling it 9 patch flower.  It was fun and relaxingly easy applique to do.  Next it needs 105 uneven nine patches to make a couple of pieced borders. I'm making them as leaders/enders so it could take awhile.  There's no rush to get this together. 
 
In the meantime I have selected a new applique project to start working on.  I'm very excitied about it!! I ordered fabric and it hasn't come yet but I am looking forward to sharing more soon.
 
Happy Quilting!!


18 comments:

rondiquilts said...

So glad for you. Several years ago I had heard of hand quilters doing this method of basting before hand quilting. So I went into my LQS (that has a long arm) and asked them about basting a quilt for me. They chuckled and said they had never heard of such a ting. I explained to them exactly what you just did, and that I would pay them to baste the quilt for me. They pretty much ridiculed me for even suggesting such a thing and that I didn't know what I was talking about. Needless to say I don't frequent my LQS.
Can't wait to see your finished quilt!
Rondi

Lori said...

I had my cherry tree quilt basted by a long armer and I'm glad I did. So excited to start seeing your masterpiece quilted!

Kyle said...

So glad you got to machine baste your quilt yourself. It really helps to understand how those big machine work. Your quilt is going to be so fun to quilt on. Love your nine patch flowers. The colors are so cheerful with those appliqued flowers. Can't wait to see what the mail is going to bring you for your new project. Isn't it fun to actually start something new.

Phyllis said...

That is great! So worth doing this, I must have look if the few long arm quilters in our country do this as well. Glad you are quilting your masterpiece by hand, gorgeous stitches.

Kleine Vingers said...

The basting looks good, and I like the nine patch flowers. Greetings

Jill said...

Excellent idea. You saved both time and your knees. Lucky you to have an accommodating longarmer nearby.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Stunning! And now you have extra time to hand quilt!

Karen said...

I will be interested to know if you find the basting in one direction is adequate. I have heard positive and negative about this. My local quilt shop will baste a quilt but one direction only is my understanding.

Cheri said...

Janet your hand quilting is SO nice. I like the secondary design in the nine patch flowers. Can't wait to see what you choose for your next applique project.

Every Stitch said...

Looks like a wonderful way to baste - wish I could try it myself! Your hand quilting looks lovely - have fun with all the outlining and seeing the quilt come to life! Lovely 9 patch flower blocks too. Am looking forward to the new secret project :)

JohnR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JohnR said...

wow .. did you really need that extension? Aren't your arms long enough?

Is that a quilt or a fresco?
Just jokin'.. the quilt is very lovely. ;)

Cissa K said...

My sweet friend has done it for me for a small fee also. She used wash away thread and when I finished the hand quilting, I just soaked the quilt and all the markings and thread went away. I loved it. Gorgeous work.

Nancy said...

Love the backing you are using for this quilt. It looks like a perfect choice. I have machine basted quilts for friends on my long arm before. It is much quicker than other methods..
I am looking forward to seeing what you have chosen for your next project.

Barb said...

Wee - can't wait to see your hand quilting progress. great backing!
Lovely nine patch flowers - they are so so charming!
can't wait to see your new applique' project

Dawn said...

Wonderful to baste on a long arm. Looks like you did a great job, and onto the ha d quilting already!
I think the secondary design created by the blocks is terrific. Hmmmm....a new project sounds wonderful!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Wow--so many beautiful projects! I've never tried back basting--sounds like an interesting way to tackle those blocks. I'm with you--the more fabrics, the better to make it scrappy!

Lynette said...

Look at your beautiful quilting stitches! And that backing fabric is absolutely gorgeous. This quilt will be STUNNING.