Thursday, June 23, 2016

camping sewing

We had our annual camping trip to Shunda Lake this past weekend.  It was a lovely family weekend.
 I knew I'd want some sewing to bring.  I didn't want to bring any current projects with me - I wanted something smaller.  The August American Patchwork and Quilting issue had arrived in my mailbox and I was instantly drawn to a small Kim Diehl applique pattern in it.
 I did some prep at home.  Inspired by Barb at Fun with Barb - I tried machine basting the stems.  That was a fast, great idea I will use again.
 We had pretty good weather - it is such a beautiful place. 
 We did some hiking and kayaking.  I wish I had pictures of the eagles we saw but I wasn't brave enough to bring my phone with me kayaking. 
I took other pictures instead - doesn't this old bus have interesting character!

At home I've continued to put handquilting stitches into my Bird of Paradise quilt.   The outline quilting continues to be so fun to do as I get to revisit all of the applique. 
 
 I also made a little quilted pouch for a friend's birthday using a great tutorial I found on Pinterest.  Here's the link.  It's from a blog called The Sewing Chick.  I especially liked the instructions for the zipper.  I've started another pouch from a different pattern but I'm going to use the same zipper instructions for it.
This one might have some goodies inside :0)

Happy Quilting!!

6 comments:

Every Stitch said...

Looks like a wonderful holiday spot and a perfect bit of portable sewing to take along too. Love the little pouch and, of course, your hand quilting!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

How peaceful (and hopefully pieceful!). Have a great camping trip. Your quilting is beautiful.

Cheri said...

Aren't you happy to see that log is still by the lake each year. Very pretty setting for your quilt blocks. CWB is looking great :)

Kyle said...

I'm glad to see that your favorite log still being available for a photo shoot. Your new little project looks intriguing. I like the idea of basting those stems down. Sounds like your family had a wonderful time on vacation. I'm glad the bus wasn't your RV! That would really be roughing it!

Barb said...

It's so fun to see new projects on your blog trunk. What a pretty place to get away to. I love that rusty bus too.
Your quilting is looking so so good - makes your beautiful quilt come to life.

Dawn said...

Enjoy your vacation! Every stitch is beautiful.