I finally finished this large top. I've been calling it Summertime. I was happy that my plan to sew the zigzag sashing using partial seams worked well and I didn't have to set in any seams at all.
I was surprised to find myself including a cream zinger border - I was sure red was going to look better. The cream frames the quilt yet doesn't detract from the blocks or the very pretty main border fabric.
So now it needs to be quilted. I thought long and hard about sending this one out to be longarm quilted. I've only once before machine quilted a quilt of this size and it wasn't very fun. The bulk of the quilt was so hard to manage in the small opening my machine had. Even long twin sized quilts are hard to manage with that small opening. There were several other things that I was unhappy about sewing with my regular machine as well. So, I decided to take the money I'd have paid the long arm quilter and put it towards a new machine.
I ordered it online, sight unseen - based entirely on what other people said about it. It's an industrial straight stitch machine with a much larger opening - a Juki TL 2010Q. I've only had a it for a few days now but so far I LOVE it! I haven't tried quilting with it yet but it's lovely to piece with. My old machine can go in the closet and get pulled out for mending or sewing clothes. I hope to try some free motion quilting with it later this week.
The wild crocuses are blooming now. I love to go see them on the hills.
Soft, furry and purple coming out of such dead looking grass - spring is really here :0)