Wednesday, October 4, 2017

what I'm working on

Thank you for all your lovely comments on my last post.  I have a winner for the 2 Jolly Bars of Summerfest from my last post - comment #7 Beth.
 My mom recently gifted me with a small bagful of old spools.  I love wooden spools.  I know my mom would string empty ones together into a chain and tie it to the highchair for a toy when I was a baby.  (Of course I don't remember this but I remember my younger sisters playing with them)  The spools in the picture are still around because they have thread on them.  I will use the thread for basting things and while I baste - wonder what sewing project my mom bought the thread to make :0)
After I typed up this post I had a quick look at my baby book and found this picture of me in the highchair with the spools dangling off the side.  I don't look too fascinated with them in the picture but there they are. 
 I need to finish up this long-set-aside sunflower wallhanging for my oldest daughter.  I wanted to set the flower into a square background.  I basted the background fabric to freezer paper around in a big circle.  Although I thought I had measured carefully - I ended up rebasting it twice before the circle was the right size - wheew!  Now all that's left is to attatch the stem and leaves and get it quilted.

     
 I finished another block for my Radical Rose and Reel quilt.  Block #5 of nine - over halfway if you're not counting borders...  Still loving the pattern by Dawn and her daughter at Collector with a needle.
At guild last time a friend showed us how to make these feather blocks from scraps.  I thought it looked like fun to try. Here is hers - all bright and fun
 But I thought I would make mine for a gift and chose to use fabrics that would go with her décor.  Yeah - I know - not nearly as fun looking.  I'm not sure I have it in me to finish this up.  This always seems to happen when I try to make something to suit someone else's taste.  It just doesn't work!
They were very fun to sew though (I made 2) Maybe I'll make some more feathers but this time in more exciting colors.
So many projects - so little time - Happy Quilting!!

8 comments:

Judith said...

So you just had to become a quilter! Great that you've mentioned Dawn, I met her a couple of weeks ago in the netherlands. She sure has lovely patterns!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I love your Radical Rose and Reel block. Delicious! Those feather blocks are intriguing. I need a new scrap project, like I need another hole in the head, but they look like fun.

Kyle said...

How sweet that you found a picture of you with the spools. It's makes a wonderful memory. Your Radical Rose is absolutely gorgeous. And the sunflower with the indigo backgrounds is so dramatic. Well done.

audrey said...

Good memories with the spools! I'm loving the Radical Rose and Reel block. So yummy looking. And I think I inadvertently stole your post title. It's so hard to come up with good ones! My brain goes blank.:)

Karen said...

Your Radical Rose block is so pretty and well done.
I have a bunch of wood spools. I have them in a Longaberger basket on my dining room table with some add handmade bowl fillers from a friend.

Dawn said...

Oh, I love wooden Spools too. I have a few folk art things made from them. I too use up the threads for basting. The photo of you in your chair is even more adorable with the spools!
You know how much I love your scrappy radical rose, it's stunning. Thank you for sharing.

Dawn said...

AND, I really like the feather blocks.
You always come up with wonderful uses for your blocks.

Teresa Rawson said...

Wow! so much to see! LOVE the picture of you with the spools! I found an ancient picture of me at 12 modeling a Cotillion dress I made. This made the audience at a quilt talk I gave last night hoot with laughter (I was NEVER good at sewing garments...and it was the early 70's, LOL!

Your rose and reel blocks are really looking fantastic...you are making beautiful progress. Can't wait to see what you will do with the feathers...the brite one makes me smile...