Monday, January 15, 2018

finished but not posted yet

I finished a quilt just after Christmas that I haven't posted about.  This quilt I've been calling Not Toasty is for my 13 year old son.  He was eager to start sleeping under it - mostly because I made it extra long so it will stay tucked in on his extra long twin bed.  

I really should have a picture of it on his bed but his room has been a little chaotic of late...  So, here it is in my room instead :0)
It's hard to photograph such a long quilt.  It was wonderful to free motion quilt this on my new (well it still feels like new) Juki sewing machine.  The tension was perfect on the back every time.  The extra harp space was wonderful for maneuvering this large quilt. 
I didn't want it quilted too heavily as I wanted it soft and comfortable for sleeping under.  The stitches might not be exactly the same length and a few awkward spots happened with my quilting designs but overall I am very pleased with the results.  He chose the pattern and colors.  It's Just Toasty by Betsy Chutchian in the Oct 2016 issue of AP&Q. 

With that finished I can relax and enjoy no quilt deadlines for awhile :0)  I laid out my 2 side borders for my signature quilt a few nights ago.  I think I can applique a few more flowers on the ends of these and still have room for some corner applique so I haven't started on the bottom border like I thought I would. 
Happy Quilting!!

9 comments:

Kyle said...

Your son's quilt is wonderful. I can't believe you quilted it all yourself. It's great. Your applique borders are beautiful. Perfect!

audrey said...

What a great quilt for a young man! It looks very cozy and the stitching is perfect. Isn't more harp space a wonderful thing! Love that applique of course. Your applique borders are always amazing.:)

Rebecca in AK said...

Such a great ‘boy’ quilt! It is so nice when our quilting efforts are appreciated. Beautiful appliquéd borders!

Karen said...

The blue and green combo made a nice quilt for a boy. Good that you made it long. I prefer to make quilts larger if I can because so many designs are too big for the wall but not big enough to adequately cover up with.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Not Toasty is beautiful! And those applique borders are out of this world!

Lori said...

What a terrific quilt! The colors are super! I bet he really loves it!!

The applique border is coming along nicely.

Barb said...

your quilt turned out wonderfully! What a great quilt for a young man.
Your applique borders are fabulous!!

Halland House Gifts said...

Your son's new quilt is beautiful. I know he will have many years of snuggle time beneath it. I alternate sleeping underneath two 30 year old quits. One was made by my mother upon graduation and the other by her mother. At some point I will need to put them away, but I’m just not there yet.

Dawn said...

What a special quilt for your son. That size will be useful for many years! His color choices and your quilting make it a special family Quilt.
Your borders are beautiful. I often do my borders leaving the approach and corners unstitched until I put it all together, vines flapping! Then I finish the borders.
Thanks for sharing!!