Thursday, December 10, 2020

Keeping busy

I'm posting about a longtime UFO today.  This is my Trailing Vines quilt started many years ago.  A year ago I was working on handquilting it. Sometime around May I switched to working on a different project and this got left folded up and crammed in a basket.  I was worried it might be getting some permanent wrinkles so I pulled it out to lay flat on the floor for a couple of days.
I really like this quilt.  I loved working on the applique.  But, I am not loving handquilting it.  For one thing its huge, its also really, really heavy and to outline the leaves I am constantly turning my hoop.  And then after all that effort - its hardly noticeable...
I'm done the first 6 panels.  Only 7 more to go.
Also I need to quilt the sashings.  I will finish it eventually.

This quilt - Hospital Sketches - has been way more fun to quilt.  I love quilting feathers!  It's lighter, smaller, easier to turn.  I'm hoping to have it finished in a few months and then I will get back to Trailing Vines.  
I whipped up a couple of coasters for a quick gift for Sinterklaas.  I hadn't used fusible web in a very long time but the piece I had still worked.  I drew them myself and I hope my parents use them.
A fun quick project between the long term ones.  

Happy Quilting!!
 

10 comments:

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Your coasters are so cute and perfect for the season. Looks like a monumental hand quilting project - good to take it slow. And your Hospital Sketches is so pretty.

Dorothy said...

One of my most favourite quilts that I've made.
I didnt quilt around each leaf, just did down the side of the green vine
and a trailing vine with the odd leaf quilting in the sashing.
Your quilt is lovely too and I'm sure you'll love using it.

Dawn said...

Fun coasters!
I LOVE your training vine. Maybe a good project to practice a little hand quilting in multiple directions? Especially if it doesn’t show a lot?

Happy December!

Lori said...

I remember you appliqueing that beauty! Some quilts are just more fun to work on. Hospital sketches is gorgeous!

Kyle said...

It is hard to keep going when the quilting turns out not to be fun, but it will be breathtaking when it's done. Then compare it to all those beautiful feathers you're also quilting. You're going to have to give them equal time.😄

Radka said...

Oh, I remember your Trailing Vines, quite a job! I am sure you will finish it, how satisfying that will be :-)
xx

Holly said...

Hello! I still love this quilt & finally found Barbara B's book on the original. I'm the one on IG who would love to help you quilt it. Remember those Q-snap frames from the 90's? I use mine for quilting heavy centers of quits when a hoop just isn't working. The size is really nice & let's you quilt a decent space without moving the frame. Plus I like sitting in a hard back chair with support of the frame for my arms & thread, pin cushion, etc... Just fyi

audrey said...

I feel for you. So hard working on something where it looks like your stitching hardly even shows! It's such an amazing quilt though. Twill be totally worthwhile at the end!:)

Karen said...

I remember seeing this quilt in the past. I always admired it as you worked you way through a million leaves.

Phyllis said...

Your work is always so beautiful and precise. I certainly understand your feeling regarding the vines quilt, it must look like it is never ending. One day it will be and it will be such an achievement. It really is unlike anything that has been been made for quite some time. Maybe set aside one, two or three days a month for quilting this one? Then before you realise it..... your last stitch!