Friday, September 26, 2008

4 block applique

I haven't been quilting much this week as my parents have been here visiting. Last night I did get the last 2 borders sewn on this applique quilt. I had finished the borders months ago - I don't know why I didn't sew them on immediately. I suspect this quilt will sit in the UFO pile again for a bit while I work up the courage to hand quilt it.
I thought I'd show a bit of a closer view of the block design. I thought it would be easier to applique on smaller background pieces so I pieced the blocks from 4 finished 9 inch sections with 1/4 of the design on each. I'm not sure it was a good idea - I have seams in my blocks now but that's how I learn - trial and error! :0)
It is an original design inspired by an antique quilt made around 1860 in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln collection. This picture is from a book but its on their website too. I LOVE to look at antique quilts for inspiration!
So now I need to get a new applique project started soon.... LOL
Happy Quilting!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That turned out amazingly. Can't wait to hear all about the visit. And the cardigan! :)

MARCIE said...

You did a beautiful job with that quilt! The design is wonderful and your fabric choices are great. Your workmanship looks great also. Be proud!

Miri said...

I too look to antique quilts for inspiration. Your quilt is lovely, both in design and color. Great work.

Lucy said...

OOhh my goodness! this quilt is absolutley a trill! Congratulatiosn!

Cornfield Quilter said...

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog! I have taken a little time to look at the quilts that you have made and they are wonderful. You definately get alot accomplished with the little ones you have. I particularly love the applique quilts. I love to applique also, I find it very relaxing, and they are my fabvorite quilts. I will be bookmarking your blog and come back for more visits. Happy quilting! :D

Unknown said...

Janet, yoou must get this quilt quilted. It is gorgeous. I'd cross hatch the background and the applique would really stand out. Love the border.

corry said...

Wow, Janet I'm impressed! This quilt is an absolute beauty. Good luck with quilting!

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful, I am also loveing antique quilts.

Christine

Janet said...

your red and green is gorgeous, I love it!