Monday, June 19, 2017

a guild challenge

We went camping this past weekend at the same place as always.  Shunda Lake is always so peaceful and beautiful.  This stump from my header changes a bit every year.  I did not get a lot of stitching time there this year as we did more hiking and kayaking but I did manage to take a few stitches in this Wandering Foot block.
 A major reason for the less stitching time was that my son, my husband and I climbed Mt Coliseum.  The view is pretty incredible from up top but it was an intense hike - straight up the mountain.
It was fun to share this experience with my son who recently turned 13.  For his birthday I made him this small zippered bag for carrying his book when he goes biking. He used to borrow an old one of mine so now he has his own.
This next project is part of a guild challenge.  Every 2 months a theme is pulled out of a bag full of ideas and we're supposed to make a block or border or quilt element to go with the theme.  The first theme pulled out of the bag was "Iconic".  I was stumped! What came up on my internet search for Iconic were movie stars and political figures that really didn't inspire me.  I had already decided I was going to use a dark background and had purchased this navy dotted fabric so I was determined to come up with something. 
My DD#1 saved the day by suggesting using an Iconic book for my idea.  (she is such a bookworm :0)  I immediately thought of the classic "To Kill a Mockingbird"  - it is a great book.  So here is my mockingbird perched in what is supposed to look like a pecan branch. (I have never seen a pecan tree or a mockingbird so I took liberties and the flowers are there for color)  The bird's eye remains to be embroidered...
We just watched the movie a week ago - which is in black and white so this color picture on the cover of the book seems odd.
 
The next guild theme pulled was "where you live".  That one was easy.  I live in the province of Alberta and all of our car licence plates read "Wild Rose Country"  As the wild roses were/are in bloom it was easy to come up with a rose wreath for my second block.  
 
 I took a picture of these on my morning run last week Monday - they were right next to the path. 
The next theme pulled was "Adventure".  After a little thought I settled on the Wandering Foot block from the first photo of this post.  It's not finished yet so I'll post it again later.  The guild challenge is only going to go for 5 themes.  I have already decided to make at least 12 blocks so I will be making some extras along the way.  
And, finally I have to post a picture of my amazing and sweet DD#1 who graduated from High school this year.  I am tremendously proud of her. She looked so beautiful in her royal blue dress. 
 I am still coming to terms with the fact that she is now an adult and plans to go away to school next year.  Oh the places she'll go :0)

Happy Quilting!!


10 comments:

Judith said...

Our children grow up fast! Faster than we would like! Ours moved out of the house during our vacation. She now lives in a student home. We will just have to let go. Your girl sure did look lovely in her blue dress.

Love the blocks you have made, gorgeous on the blue back ground!

Karen said...

You are creative with the themes given for the challenge. I would have had a hard time with "iconic". Pretty blocks.

Barb said...

Congratulations to your Daughter. What an exciting time for her (and you too).
Your mockingbird block is just great. What a fun theme challenge idea.
Pretty rose block too.
Love seeing your header stump - it really has changed over the years.

Dawn said...

Family milestones, how exciting! Best wishes to your daughter, and I'm sure your son will climb even more mountains.
Your guild challenge is great! Your blocks are wonderfully creative interpretations of the themes.
Thank you for sharing.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Wow, another milestone! She does look beautiful in that dress! And kudos to you for such an impressive hike. I love your interpretation of the guild's themes. Very clever and yet keeping them traditional at the same time. And, To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite movie. It is one instance in which I like the movie as well (if not better than) the book.

Every Stitch said...

Adventures with our kids are the best sort aren't they? and congratulations to your very grown up daughter. I love how you have interpreted the quilt challenge. I have avoided challenges like this as I'm always afraid I'll end up with a quilt that's not really to my taste. But you have solved that here! It will be beautiful and classic - how clever of you and family helpers.

Kyle said...

Your family is ending some chapters and eagerly starting new ones. Congratulations to you daughter and her wonderful achievement. The first baby is the hardest to let go of. And a big star for all of you mountain climbers as well. I love the idea of using a favorite and important book title for your first block. Those words choices would definitely been a challenge. Loved seeing "the stump" in your photo shoot again.

Radka said...

I love the bird block :-)
xx

Cheri said...

I love the navy blue dot background on your guild challenge blocks, nice interpretation. I always enjoys seeing your current project on the log during your annual camp trip. Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation. I was going to mention it on your last post but didn't, you could be her older sister :).

Cyndi said...

LOVE your colorful Tree of Life block! Read "To Kill a Mockingbird" way back when while in school. Also read "Animal Farm in school and am now listening to the audiobook to refresh my recall of it! Your scenic photos are terrific!