Friday, July 21, 2017

a summer post

Summer is my favorite season and it always goes by way too fast!  I've been busy with my kids but a few stitches have been taken as well.
I took some time away from more current projects to sew up another Tree of Life block. These are so fun to plan and stitch.
 Here are the first 4 blocks for my guild challenge quilt.. I'm still thinking about the bright yellow in the Wandering foot block.  It's pretty powerful and I'm considering appliqueing another fabric (the red) over part/most of the yellow. What do you think? I like the yellow with the navy but its a little overpowering. I have to wait until September for the next theme.
 We went to Kelowna to visit my parents last week.  I made this napkin holder for my Mom.  It's good for holding napkins outside so they don't blow away in the breeze. 
 My husband and I had a chance to go out for lunch at a nearby winery.  The view from the restaurant is so beautiful.   It was pretty smoky from northern BC forest fires while we were there.  Normally the lake is a gorgeous blue but I was happy that we could at least see the lake that day.
 I finished making my 36 patches into blocks a few weeks ago.  I am now rethinking my setting options... again.  I think I'd like to add some pretty sashing but I can't quite find the right print.  This is one I have in my stash which I like the best so far.  In the fall I will get back to this project.  And in the meantime on my summer travels, who knows what fabric I might find?
 
I also keep working on blocks for my son's quilt. Hand quilting my Bird of Paradise quilt is nearing completion.  And I started appliqué block #5 for Radical Rose and Reel.   Lots of projects keeps things exciting around here :0)

Happy Quilting!

14 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Janet choosing fabric and colour are hard for me so I am reluctant to chime in. The yellow looks great to me esp. against the darker colours. All your quilting is so special!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

OH, I love the yellow! I think it balances nicely with the yellow in the star block. Of course yellow is my favorite color so I may be a bit bias. Happy summer!

Joyful Quilter said...

I'm with everyone else...I like the yellow. If you remove / hid it then the pink (and maybe the red) is really going to stand out.

LOVE the floral as sashing with your 32 patch blocks, it really brings out all the colors.

Caro said...

Lovely work! Can you please tell me what pattern you used for your Tree of Life block? It's on my bucket list. Thanks.

Barb said...

I love the chrome yellow - but you have to make yourself happy with it.
I really like your scrappy tree of life! those blocks are a lot of sewing.
what a pretty napkin holder, I'll bet your mom loved it.
what a beautiful lunch setting.
I'm always happy when I see quilter auditioning fabric and not just adding without contemplation. I like this choice and the red cornerstones are really nice

Lori said...

You've been doing some lovely sewing! I'm a fan of your scrappy Tree of Life block. I think the yellow block is balanced by the other yellow.
My favorite time is summer too, and everyone starts talking about fall as soon as summer starts! I don't like to rush it at all!

Lorraine said...

I am liking the yellow in your guild's challenge blocks. You can always use a little more in the future blocks to have it all balance. Tree of life block is super. I might have to put that on my bucket list!! HA! It is already too long. And I do love the aqua floral with the scrappy blocks. That quilt is definitely on my bucket list!

Dawn said...

Love your scrappy tree of life.
Good for you keeping the variety of projects in rotation.
I like the yellow, you might see how it plays with a few more blocks.
Thank you for sharing!

Monica said...

I like everything! I would keep the yellow in the blocks, and I love that blue floral for the sashing. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Kyle said...

All those lovely fabrics included in your Tree of Life. So far I'd say the chrome yellow is balanced, but you'll have to see as you add more blocks. Glad you've had some summer opportunities to sew. But enjoying your family times are important too.

Every Stitch said...

I'm a bit late commenting but just wanted to add that I like the yellow too - but then I am quite partial to the colour so might be biased! It has to suit you and we all gravitate to certain colours and avoid others don't we? I love your winery photo - the red geraniums are stunning against the vines!

Karen said...

I am drawn to your tree block. Very well done.
The guild challenge blocks are quite nice. Is there a prize involved with the challenge? If so, I hope you win.

Cheri said...

OH I like it all! Pretty blocks and fabrics!

Robin said...

Your applique is lovely. I've been scrolling through many of your most recent posts. You have made some wonderful and diverse things. Your have great color sense.