Thursday, February 22, 2018

a BIG finish


I finished my Bird of Paradise quilt!!  Appliqued and quilted by hand - only the assembly of the blocks and basting was done by machine. 

 I started with the Threadbear Civil War Bride quilt pattern.  I made 10 of the blocks just like the pattern, 4 blocks slightly altered and the remaining 6 blocks I drew myself using some of the flower and leaf shapes from the pattern and my own drawings.  For my borders I took inspiration from the original 1862 Bird of Paradise quilt pictured in The Quilt Engagement Calendar Treasury.  I wanted the horses for sure to be included - they add so much energy to the quilt.  I also really liked the top border from the original so I sewed mine to be similar.  The sides and bottom are of my own design. 
With the horses racing along the bottom you'd think I'd have been racing to a finish.  Actually I started this quilt in September of 2010.  Quilting began in May of 2016 and finished in Sept of 2017.  Yeah - September.  It took me 5 months to trim and bind this quilt.  It was like an anticlimax.  And, I'm not sure why.  I loved working on this project so much - I miss working on this project.  It's a fairly large quilt and I really don't have anywhere in mind to hang it.  I'm really happy with how it turned out - I'm just not really sure what to do with it.
 Here are some close ups.  I love the squirrels :0)  They've been so busy hanging upside down off of our bird feeder eating seeds all day today.  (I was less happy with them when they were digging up and eating my carrots in the summer though)
It's a large quilt to display.  I'll find a spot for it somewhere I'm sure.
 It was a tremendously fun journey.  I learned so much about applique and designing blocks and borders while working on it.  Honestly I'd love to make it again. 
It is fairly densely hand quilted.  After I saw Hilda's beautifully quilted Civil War Bride quilt I wanted that look as well.  I learned a few things about marking while I worked on it too.  There were challenges :0)
 
Overall, it was a wonderful ride :0)  What next??

Happy Quilting!

27 comments:

fanfan said...

I loved reading the story of this wonderful quilt! Compliments for such a beautiful work of patience!

Maureen said...

Gorgeous! Love how you made it your own. I encourage you to design your next applique quilt since you enjoyed making this one so much and have a talent for it.

Lynn S said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Love, Love the handquilting!

Nat Palaskas said...

Oh wow! Congratulations. This is every quilters's dream! I'm a member of Civil War Bride Quilt blog too, but I think I only made 6 blocks. Your quilt has inspired me to get back to it. It's so beautiful, breathtakingly beautiful!

Karen said...

Your border is wonderful! Love the horses! And I agree that they add energy to the quilt.

Robin said...

Wow! What a wonderful accomplishment. Your work and color choices are great. The blocks that you designed yourself are so pretty and really blend in nicely. The hand quilting is amazing and being a hand quilter myself I can really appreciate the time and effort it took you to make this. Again, wow!

Joyful Quilter said...

WOW...the quilt is stunning. I'm in awe over your patience in all the hand work. If you can't find a place for it, I have the perfect spot in my house ;o) - bet everyone is telling you that. Congratulations on the finish.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I love reading the details of the quilt. The horses - yes, energy! It’s just gorgeous and how wonderful that you enjoyed the journey so much - to me, that’s the whole point of why we quilt!

Phyllis said...

Such a great achievement, it is such a beauty. I admire your creativity, your workmanship and your patience. You created an heirloom, congratulations!

Kleine Vingers said...

What a beautiful quilt.

Jenny said...

Ao amazing - many congratulations on your beautiful quilt!!

Barb said...

Congratulations on your wonderful finish.
It has been a joy and a pleasure to watch your progress over the years. I applaud you for making it "your own" by changing the pattern.
Your quilting looks wonderful and has made it a true heirloom!

Hip Hip Hooray! I hope you send it to some quilt shows for others to enjoy seeing it.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh my! I have seen many Civil War Bride quilts and this is my favorite. All your little additions make it truly special. I adore your horses along the bottom border. This is an outstanding quilt! Thanks for sharing your spectacular adventure.

Charlotte said...


Simply gorgeous. What a work of art and heart. Congratulations on finishing.

Charlotte

Every Stitch said...

Huge congratulations! So wonderful to see it finished - love your quilting! I know how you feel wanting to do the whole thing again - hard to find a project that matches that one isn't it? I especially love the photo of it folded on the chair :)

Kyle said...

I love how you took this pattern and madeeveryone t your own. It's a beautiful piece and will be a special family heirloom. I know how you feel about finishing a quilt of this intensity. Congratulations. I hope you have the opportunity to share it with others in a quilt show sometime.

Alison said...

What a lovely job you have made of this, A very satisfying finish. Well done, thanks for sharing.

beth s said...

What a TREASURE!! You have a masterpiece there. :) love it.

JohnR said...

Nice quilt! I like the squirrels. btw very kind of you to feed the real ones outside your home. ;)

Jeanna said...

Absolutely gorgeous! What an heirloom that will be!

audrey said...

Hilda is such an inspiration isn't she? Your quilt is fantastic. I absolutely love that you put so much of yourself into it. How could you be anything less than thrilled with the finish! It's been a wonderful forever sort of quilt project I'm sure and they are always a little tough to let go of.:)

Halland House Gifts said...

Oh my word, it’s gorgeous! This world definitely needs quilters and their beautiful quilts. What a bleak world it would be without. Judy

Daffycat said...

Oh, wow! What an incredibly beautiful quilt! Congratulations on a spectacular finish.

I had a squirrel tear up the seat of my brand new outdoor patio chair. Lining her nest? I was not too pleased!

Lori said...

Congratulations on an epic quilt! What a journey!

Genevieve said...

Incredibly gorgeous quilt. We hand appliquers/ quilters are becoming urban legends. Ten years ago I moved to Oregon and was fortunate to find a wonderful quilt group who taught me hand appliqué and quilting. Your quilt is marvelous. Maybe one day I will be daring enough to change my patterns to my liking. Thank you for the inspiration .

Floss said...

I keep coming back to relook at this quilt.

Annelein said...

It's just amazing.... love your quilt... you did a great job!