Tuesday, April 24, 2018

machine feathers


 It's about time I posted something.  I've been sewing - stitching away on current projects.  I have not started anything new although the temptation has been very great.
I had a week at home in early April.  Our furnace quit and we heated the house with the woodstove for a week until a part could be acquired.  I had to stay home and feed wood into the stove...  One day I made the best of it and basted this enormous quilt on the floor of my dining room.  I used all of my basting pins and still didn't have enough so I thread basted the border just to get it done.
It was my plan to free motion quilt this - hoping it would go fast like my son's quilt.  But as I considered it I decided to use my walking foot to anchor the blocks before I tried free motion quilting. Then I flipped through an excellent book "Visual guide to Free-motion Quilting Feathers" by Natalia Bonner and found this feathered design that fit into a square.  

My quilting is far from perfect but I am pleased with how this design fills the blocks without being too dense.  The design doesn't take over the block like it may appear in this picture.  If I turned the lights on as usual you would hardly see any quilting at all.  I still need a plan for the zigzag sashing.  Straight lines are all I've thought of so far.  Any suggestions??

The design works well for the half blocks too - here it is from the back.  By the last block I will be a pro - lol!
I'm also working on appliqueing my 7th block of Radical Rose and Reel.  I was so surprised to see that I had placed these two pieces in the same fabric side by side.  I didn't notice until it was sewn on.  I usually try so hard to not let this happen.  However, scrappy antique quilts often have blocks in the same fabric grouped together and yet I try so hard to scatter them evenly across the top?!  I love antique quilts!  So even though I know this will bug me  - I'm leaving it. 

Happy Quilting!!

7 comments:

Kyle said...

Your feather design looks lovely over your pieced blocks. It's a great choice. Sorry that the backgrounds for the appliques got a little messed up, but it will add a little charm for the antique feel you're creating. I've done the same thing, actually multiple times. Yes, it bugs me, but mo one else even notices.

Joyful Quilter said...

lol I was looking at the red in your block and thought it was okay...then I noticed the greens. Not noticeable at all.

Love your feather quilting. I really like Natalia Bonner's FMQ books. Have you decided what you are going to quilt in the borders? Could you do a mini version in the sashing?

Karen said...

Machine quilting is not something I do well. You have done a good job.

audrey said...

Isn't it funny how a repeat fabric choice can get on our nerves! And we try so hard to make sure it doesn't happen. The ironic thing with me is that's the sort of thing I will smile at in an old quilt and think it perfectly charming! We need to be more gentle with ourself! Your machine quilting is looking great. Wish I had the motivation to try something more challenging.:)

cocoya said...

Love the energy in your sashing fabric! I'm a big fan of stripey sashing. All your projects are so lovely. The applique just melts my heart.:)

ผ่านเว็บ B2BET

Barb said...

your quilted feathers are so classic and lovely. Your quilting looks perfect to me.
As you say, antique quilts had prints that matched, didn't match, almost matched. I like the randomness of it however it turns out.

Dawn said...

Your machine quilting is fantastic. Just the right size and scale to compliment and not over power the block.
I think a straight line or two I. The sashing would look great.
Radical Rose is coming along so nicely. I love that green and think only you will know it is side by side.
Thanks for sharing your projects.