Tuesday, July 17, 2018

summer stitching

There's been some summer stitching.  All of those red and cream hst's from my last post became sashing for these applique blocks.  Once that was done there needed to be a border of hst's as well.  I decided to use blue and cream hst's because they kind of frame it at the same time.  To speed up making them I decided to use triangle paper.  I was impressed at how easy it was to find, print and use triangle paper from the internet.  
This cream with little red star fabric was in my stash and perfect for a final border. Now it will have to return to the ufo bin until I have time to quilt it. 

I've been working on the bottom border for my signature quilt.  It is fun to be working with these fabrics and shapes again. 
 
 I've also been working a little bit on my Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt - On Ringo Lake.  I had to make the setting triangles for the edge so I could start putting the blocks together.  As part of that process some pieced triangles got cut off.  I didn't want to waste them so I made a potholder with them.  Now I wish I had more cutoffs so I could make a second potholder :0)
 
 Here is what I have assembled so far of the mystery quilt.  With solid pink sashing strips it goes together smoothly and the pieced sashing included in the mystery instructions I will use for a border.
I hope I can get the rest of this top together this summer. 

There's been lots of this going on this summer as well.  Some weeks are better for stitching than others...

Happy Quilting!!

6 comments:

audrey said...

Oh, the appliqued pots of flowers are so very sweet! Love that simple sawtooth border too. And your appliqued border is looking fantastic! There's just something about a special appliqued border to make my heart go pitty pat.:)

Kyle said...

Nice choice of using both the red and blue hst's. It's extra nice when you find the perfect border fabric in your stash and it works! Your summer projects are as much fun as your daughter going for a swing!

Lori said...

Spending time with fam is great! What a fun photo!!

Love your basket quilt and that sawtooth border is perfect! Love your applique too.

Dawn said...

Love all the HST, brilliant to change colors on the outer round.
So fun to have a mix of projects in between all the summer fun.
Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

Your HST are so charming with your cheerful pots. This is such a happy quilt.
Your applique is lovely as usual and so is your BH project.
Loved your summer rope swing photo :)
yes, some weeks are definitely better than others for stitching in the summer

julieQ said...

I just really love those flower pots!! Especially the two colors of triangles you used...gorgeous! Enjoy your stitching!