Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Layer Cake Custard Quilt

I had the opportunity to participate in another quiltalong with the Fat Quarter Shop.  This time I made the Layer cake custard quilt.  It was a fun and fast quilt to make and a really good pattern for showcasing large print fabrics. 
 I chose the Crystal Farm layer cake by Laundry Basket quilts because of the beautiful large floral prints in the line.  (Yes,that is snow on the ground.  It's all melted now but we had lots!)
 I cut the whole quilt out before I started sewing - something I've never done before.  I loved it because I could zip down to my sewing machine and stitch even if I only had a few minutes to sew. 
Very quickly the top was together and I basted it on the floor in my dining room.
I decided simple quilting was a good choice for a soft and cozy quilt.  I quilted diagonal straight lines with a few feathered vines interspersed. 
 It was completely finished in under a month.  I am astounded that this is even possible for me. Usually it takes years for me to get to a finish.
I decided to try another new thing while I was at it - machine binding.  I watched a YouTube video by Kimberly here and gave it a try.  The first side was not amazing, but the second side went a little better and the 3rd and 4th sides worked great. Just a few hand stitches on the back will fix up a few spots where I missed.  I was impressed at how quickly it went. 

 
So one final picture of the whole quilt laid out on the floor. 
If you want to see the rest of the Layer Cake Custard quilts made by others in the quiltalong check them out here on the Fat Quarter Shop blog.

Happy Quilting!!

7 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a great quilt and I particularly like the name!

Cathy said...

I really love this quilt. I have an over flow of layer cakes and this is the perfect quilt. Hugs, Cathy

Judith said...

It sure is a succes! Lovely, weird that you have had snow already!

Kyle said...

What a fun and quick finish. Loved the quilting that you added, especially, the feathers. It's fun to do something fast and easy once in awhile.

Karen said...

A simple design that I like very much. The Fat Quarter Shop always seems to have wonderful and appealing quilt kits, supplies, sew-alongs, etc.

audrey said...

The pieced blocks are very simple, yet striking! It's lovely to have a fast finish once in awhile. Us plodders kind of forget how fast things can actually go together once we put our mind to it.:)

Barb said...

great name and quilt!
snow - wow!