Wednesday, November 14, 2018

International Quilt Festival

I had the most amazing time at International Quilt Festival in Houston, Texas!!  I was so excited to be able to go!  I had entered my Bird of Paradise quilt in the "In the American Tradition" exhibit and it was accepted so I had to go see it!  Back in the spring I boxed up my quilt and shipped it away.
 So, the first thing I did on arrival was find it in the show.  It was displayed so nicely.  I was vibrating with excitement that first evening at the show, hardly knowing what to look at first.
 I was very much looking forward to meeting quilters that I know from their blogs.  Judith Ebbelaar from the Netherlands was the first one I met. I felt so welcomed with a big hug.  It was wonderful to get to know her and see her in person.  She was working very hard at the Dutch Heritage booth in the vendor area.  Such a beautiful booth and such gorgeous fabrics. 
 I have been gifted with Dutch chintz fabrics before but never able to shop for them myself.  It was difficult because I wanted it all  :0)  I know I will be starting a quilt with these fabrics soon.  I can't wait - they're so gorgeous!
 The next morning I got to meet Kyle and her husband Ed.  She was every bit as delightful as I thought she would be from her blog that I have enjoyed for so many years.  We visited and shopped and viewed quilts together.  I loved every minute it. 
 I also got to meet Lori of Humble Quilts.  I've followed her blog for ages and have made several of her doll quilt quiltalongs. What a fun supper we had!
I have been blogging for 10 years and had never met any of the friends made through blogs until this Houston trip.  It was so great!
Barb of the blog Fun with Barb had her Mother's garden quilt in the show.  Barb was the one who encouraged me to enter my quilt.  I'm so grateful to her for believing in me.  I wouldn't have been in Houston if my quilt hadn't been accepted.  Her quilt was marvellous.  I kept coming back to it to find new details to enjoy. 
 Wendy of The Constant Quilter had 2 quilts in the show.  This one was scrappy delightful.  I loved the little stars on cheddar reaching from the center block to the border. 
 Karen of Log Cabin Quilter blog had her beautiful Shenandoah Valley quilt there.  Loved the chocolate brown background. 
 This quilt Old Voices was by Cynthia Collier and Peggy Morton.  I got to meet Cynthia at the show and enjoyed talking about applique quilts with her.
 
Teresa of Fabric Therapy had her beautiful prize winning Contentment quilt in the show.  She also made a Civil War Bride Quilt years ago and I've enjoyed following her blog for several years. 
 
There is so much more to tell so I'm going to make another post to share about the antique quilts and others I enjoyed in the Show - hopefully later this week :0)

11 comments:

Lori said...

I love those Dutch fabrics!!
I went back and saw all my friends quilts at least 3x!! It was so wonderful to meet you and I'm thrilled Kyle stopped to say hello!!

cityquilter grace said...

oh yeah...dutch fabrics serious drool....and oh the quilts! stunning, simply stunning!

Barb said...

I have loved seeing the photos of you and your quilt at the show. I'm so glad you sent your quilt and I'm so happy you were able to go.
This year seemed jammed packed with our community of friends and their quilts.
Wendy's are amazing. She's such a talent and so nice too.
Thanks for visiting my Mothers quilt!
I wish we had met too - One Day

Karen said...

I am green with envy! Such a good time you had. I did not know that Wendy had a second quilt in the show. Thank you for sharing that.

Some day I will get back to my Civil War Bride quilt. I have several blocks done. Yours is spectacular and I am glad it was in the show. An honor.

That Teresa is so creative. I follow her blog and am always amazed at her artistic abilities and the quilts she designs.

Judith said...

Silly me I had no idea you were in the contest, but guess what? I photographed your quilt at Market, thought it was so fantastic! It sure was fun meeting you, and Kyle again. She sure is lovely. We got home on tuesday, I got my surgery yesterday and got home today. Feeling much better already. It has been a fantastic time in Houston. So good to read your post about it. Do take care, Juud

JohnR said...

A very lovely account on your trip to the Quilt Festival in Houston. How wonderful you could meet with other talented quilters whose artistry & creativity have inspired you for many years. Remarkable that you are an international quilting star!

audrey said...

I bet you were vibrating with excitement! So very glad you got to go see your gorgeous quilt hanging up at such a wonderful show. What a great experience. And to get to see so many blog friends too! Yay for you!!

Kyle said...

It's hard to come off such a high!!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

How fun that you not only got to see these quilts, but you were able to meet so many on-line pals too--including Running Man--lol! Your quilt is wonderful!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh Janet, your quilt is so stunning and I am so glad you listened to Barb and entered it in Houston. I surely wish I had been there to meet up with you and Kyle and all the wonderful bloggers! Thanks for posting my "Thanks Judie" quilt. And, I am so proud of Teresa for winning a blue ribbon! You must be reeling with all that excitement. I do hope to go next year!!

Phyllis said...

I am so sorry I missed you. I did get to 'meet' your beautiful quilt, amazed by your technique. Great you got to meet Judith, she is a friend of mine and a lovely person. Houston is a fantastic show not just for the quilts but also for meeting quilters. Maybe next time we can have a coffee together.