Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Trying to avoid starting something new

Yesterday was an exciting day.  I took my quilt and with a lot of help, long arm basted my Trailing Vines quilt.  It is now ready for handquilting.  I was so excited to get started last evening. I did put a few stitches into it - enough to realize that it is going to take awhile to quilt around all those leaves...  lots of turning of the hoop.  I wonder if Susan McCord quilted hers in a frame - I bet unlike me, she could quilt in more than 2 directions. 
 I'll post a picture of the handquilting progress once there's enough to look like something. 

A New Year must equal a new project - right?  In effort to resist, I went through my bin of ufo's.  This little wallhanging has been waiting for some quilting for a looong time. 
 It was quick to add the brown borders, handquilt the center, machine quilt the hourglass blocks and put on binding.
 All it needs now is a hanging sleeve.  (this finished picture is dim - an overcast day today)
 I did some sewing with my DD#3 - she turns 11 this week.  She wanted to sew some pants for her doll.  I think they turned out really well :0)

I also made 2 blocks for a guild project. 
 A robin
 and a hairy woodpecker.  It felt like a new project for a little while :0)
 I made some hot mats for the kitchen.  They were a really quick project and much needed - my old ones looked terrible.
I also made 2 house blocks for the Paradise Fire project in California.  I used the instructions on Lori's Humble Quilts blog from Diane Knott's book.  They were fun, also a little like a new project.
So I have resisted starting something new so far.  Of course there are plenty of other projects I can work on.  Those ufo bins have loads of potential...

I finished appliquing the final block for my Radical Rose and Reel quilt.  As excited as I am to put all 9 together - I'm anxious about trimming them.  They need to trim down to 24 inches and my largest ruler is 20 1/2 inches.  I will procrastinated about it for a few days.  I found another ufo to work on in the meantime... 

Happy Quilting!!

12 comments:

Judith said...

You're very brave hand quilting this quilt yourself! GORGEOUS, and indeed a lot of turning in the hoop. I will be taking some hand quilting classes from Ted Storm in February. One of the few master quilters in this world. She is Dutch, so we are very lucky to have her as a teacher. Can't wait. Enjoy your day, and all your lovely projects.

Frog Quilter said...

I am enjoying your beautiful projects especially the trailing cord. So pretty. Lovely applique.

Kyle said...

Susan McCord would love your quilt. It will be a masterpiece when you get it quilted because it's already fabulous now. Loved see your daughter sewing too. She did a great job. You've got so many wonderful things you're working on. You're a great inspiration to all of us

Phyllis said...

This quilt deserves to be handquilted, so happy you decided to do that. It wil be so amazing, I have never seen anybody (except the picture I have in a book of somewhere of the Susan McCord quilt) make this quilt, it is such a special project. Can't wait to see more. Your daughter is a very clever girl, also love the fabric she chose. Beautiful other project too. Enjoy your stitching.

audrey said...

So exciting to see your Susan McCord quilt ready for hand quilting! You're going to have hours of fun with that one!

Marie said...

Looks like you had lots of success with you 'new' projects - that's a perfect way to avoid the temptation of starting something new and still enjoying the satisfaction of a finish. Good for you!

GG. said...

Congratulations, it is truly gorgeous. You must be so pleased to be into the next step in this wonderful quilt. Thanks for sharing your work with us! Certainly, many people are inspired by your blog! Just like me!
Regards, ctnbee

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh you must be so excited! I just love this quilt and you must feel such a connection to Susan McCord now. I'm looking forward to watching your quilting progress. Your Radical Rose and Reel blocks are stunning!

Lori said...

I bet you are excited to have that quilt basted! It will be enjoyable to hand quilt.
Love all your other "little" projects! Looks like 2019 is starting out with a bang!

Jane in Cumbria said...

Wow, that will be a mammoth task! But it will be so beautiful! Your daughter appears to have inherited your sewing skills. She did a wonderful job! All your projects look lovely!

Halland House Gifts said...

Love your projects. I’m especially in love with the appliqué. After the week this country has had with the unrelenting polar vortex a quilt post is very welcome. 😊. Judy

Dawn said...

I'm having an appliqué quilt basted this month. How fun you basted yours, I wish I could do mine.
How fun to revisit some projects and finish a few too. Nice variety.
I love the doll clothes, very well done.
What a milestone...the last Radical Rose block. It's gorgeous.
I know of a hand quilting group and to try out, you had to quilt in all directions at the frame...