Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The binding is finally on and my Lily Quilt is finished!  It's been a WISP (work in slow progress) from the very beginning.  I first posted about this quilt Oct 14/2009.  That's slow even for me.
 
 But today as I take a few pictures - I still love it. 
 I especially love the texture of the handquilting. 
 I struggled to choose binding for this quilt.  I wanted a softer look with a creamy beige but my quilty friends as well as the quilt kept telling me it needed blue.  I was happy to find this older blue at the LQS as most of the fabrics in this quilt I used up a long time ago. 
 It's 82 inches square. 
 I finished the hand quilting in 2018 so I think the date is close enough ;0)  This is usually all I do for a label so in years to come maybe someone will think I made it on the occasion of my 18th birthday - lol! 

Of course as soon as I finish something I have to start something new!  Barbara Brackman started a mystery applique BOM called Hospital Sketches on her blog Civil War Quilts.  I was delighted with the first block.
 Block #2 comes out next Wednesday.  I can't wait!
And, slowly I am making progress with handquilting my Trailing Vines quilt.  I am outlining all of the leaves.  There are a lot of leaves in this quilt!  I have finished the first of 13 panels and started on the second.  I will need to think of something to quilt in the narrow sashing. 

Happy Quilting!!

16 comments:

Judith said...

Janet, it is gorgeous, and your quilting........just devine. Love the colors, I love everything about it. And a slow proces.... I have a couple of those laying around! Enjoy your day, I am off to Belgium.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Gorgeous quilting. May I ask what thread and colour you are using?
Love all your projects including tiny pants.

Lori said...

Your quilts are amazing and the one on the bed is quite the heirloom! Love the quilted "label".
The leaf stripppy is coming right along.
Lori

Nana said...

Reqardless of how slow the progress was, the finish was amazing.

Kyle said...

Your quilts are always fabulous and this one is no exception. The quilting is gorgeous. And your family will enjoy this one for a long long time. Trailing Vine will be another favorite one soon.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

It is simply gorgeous! What a wonderful feeling to have such a special quilt finished! I love your Periwinkle Wreath! And your Trailing Vines quilt takes my breath away. I've always wanted to make one. Thanks for letting me drool over yours!

audrey said...

I love your lily quilt! The colors are amazing and the hand quilting just perfect. Your friends were right about the binding. Glad you found a good blue! And your leaves quilt is just stunning. I am loving the texture of the hand quilting already! It almost always makes a good quilt even better.:)

Phyllis said...

I am in awe of your quilting, just gorgeous! Can't wait to see more of the vines as it gets quilted, such a special and beautiful quilt.

Rose Marie said...

Wow .... beautiful quilt and gorgeous hand quilting!

Karen said...

The hand quilting is oh so pretty. I love the texture that hand quilting gives.
Your applique block from Barbara B's sew-along is well done. I don't know that I will have time to participate but it is very tempting.

Jane in Cumbria said...

Your Lily quilt is beautiful, and so is the applique block!
It is lovely to see your handquilting too!!

Dawn said...

Congratulations on such a beautiful finish! The texture is gorgeous - so worth every stitch.
The trailing vine is special too - what's not to love in this post??
Thanks for sharing.

Jane in Cumbria said...

How beautiful! Congratulations! Your handquilting looks so lovely. And I like the new block too.

Karen said...

Love your beautiful Lily Quilt! I would have to say it's one of my favorite applique blocks. Once again, your applique blocks are beautiful too!

Deb said...

It is always a joy to find a quilter that is still hand quilting I love the way you sign your quilt and may have to adapt mine the same way I hope you don't mind! Your HS blocks are turning out spectacular! so glad I have found this blog to follow you are right up my alley in fabrics, quilting and style! thanks for taking the time to share.

Karen said...

Your Lily quilt is SEW BEAUTIFUl! It's one of my favorite patterns!