Monday, April 1, 2019

Summertime finished!

This is another big finish for me.  I've been calling this quilt Summertime because of its bright happy colors.  It's a large quilt at 92 x 106 inches so it is difficult to get a picture of the whole thing.  Here you can see a little more than half of it hanging over our deck railing.  There is just a little bit of melting snow to the right of the quilt - it feels like spring :0)
 
 I finished this quilt a couple of weeks ago and we started using it right away. It was time to change out the duvet and this quilt was ready to go.
 I dithered about what to quilt in the wide border.  I had finished the center part last summer and then got stuck.  I finally decided to go with my usual - feathers.  Feathers quilt up so quickly with free motion quilting.  It needed a few straight lines as well to fill in.
 The binding was debated a bit.  A couple of quilty friends did not think this was a good choice. The blue was hard to match and the fabrics from the top long gone from the shops.  I found this bright pretty blue and I'm very happy with it.  Not much shows when the quilt is tucked in anyway. 
 I love waking up to all this feathered texture and the bright happy colors.  Started in June of 2015 - it is good to have it finished and in use.

I finished my second block from Barbara Brackman's applique sew-a-long.  I changed it a bit from the pattern given.  The big feather was a fun challenge to stitch in 2 fabrics.  I have just started Block #3  It's exciting to see the new block appear on the Civil War Quilts blog on the last Wednesday of the month. 
 I have also got back to making a few more of these tree blocks.  I had enough but I enjoy making them so much I thought a few more couldn't hurt :0)
So there won't likely be any more big finishes for awhile but that's ok.  I like having a good variety of projects to work on. 
Happy Quilting!

11 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Your Summertime quilt turned out beautiful! Looks perfect in your room.

Kyle said...

You are ready for summertime with a beautiful new quilt. The feathers in the border are lovely. A great choice. You're right, feathers are always a great choice. Lovely applique block and another tree for the forest. I always love seeing what you're working on, bits and pieces or completed quilts.

Phyllis said...

I love your new quilt, love the colors and the pattern, it really looks like spring. You did the quilting yourself too? That is so clever, I do handquilt, but machine quilting....and then free motion.... no , hopefully one day. Enjoy your lovely new quilt.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh what a happy quilt! It is stunning. I love your coxcomb block. I seem to be having trouble keeping up this time, but I am rolling along on #3.

Dawn said...

Beautiful finish, looks wonderful in your bedroom.’
You just can’t go wrong with feathers ina border!
Enjoy your projects!!

Lori said...

YOur quilt is absolutely gorgeous! Love that blue binding too! It looks like a perfect spring quilt!!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love everything about this quilt, feathers are always a good choice for those outer borders.

Karen said...

I like how the block design in your new quilt gives the appearance of circular blocks without using a circle shape.

Karen said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I love that country blue fabric. You do amazing applique work too, your blocks are sew nice!

Barb said...

Wow your quilt is spectacular! I bet it feels wonderful when you pass your hand across it. I think the solid binding looks great.
lovely hospital sketch block and I remember those gorgeous trees!

Karen said...

The red, pink and green colors of your Hospital Sketches blocks are delightful. I had a hard time settling on a color range.