Wednesday, January 8, 2020

a new old project

I've started to gain momentum on an old ufo.  I'm quite excited about it again.  Back in 2014 I started making 6 inch blocks.  A friend of mine was finishing a Nearly Insane quilt and had started a Farmer's Wife quilt - both sampler style quilts made with 6 inch blocks.  I just wanted to play in my scraps and make some blocks.  I took block books out from the Public Library and chose blocks to make.  I made quite a few blocks with no real plan in mind.  And then...  they got stuck in the ufo bin.
 I happened upon a picture online of Carrie Nelson's Blockheads 1 quilt.  It too was a sampler style quilt made with 6 inch blocks.  I loved her setting.  She added plain sashing around the blocks, grouped them in 4's and then sashing them again with flying geese.
 So I laid out some of the blocks in groups of 4 and started making scrappy flying geese.  Lots and lots of them!
So far I have the blocks grouped in 4's and sashed.  I stitched strips of geese in 10's and I've started to add them.  It's been a fun project to work on and I will get this to a finished top before too long.  I'm still uncertain what I will put in the intersections of the flying geese.  You can see the holes where carpet shows through in the top photo.  I'd welcome any suggestions you might have :0)

I like it when an old project feels exciting like a new project :0)
Happy Quilting!!

10 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Great setting! It looks prefect with all your blocks. How about a simple square in a square for the sashing blocks? Dark center, light corners. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

CecileD said...

Great blocks Janet and you have had a very good idea to finish this Ufo !!
xoxo

Lori said...

What a unique setting!! I'm sort of "over" sampler quilts, unless it has a fun setting like this!!
Not sure about the center square. Maybe another little block:)

Rebecca said...

Lovely layout...
How about an hour glass block in the center?

Unknown said...

I also was thinking square in a square! Lovely quilt!

audrey said...

It really is fun when a good solution is found for an old UFO that has stalled. Good for you finding the flying geese idea and following through! It's a fantastic idea!:)

Phyllis said...

What a fun and beautiful project, great to see this ufo being finished.

Karen said...

I have the Block Heads book and Carrie Nelson's setting is one that struck my fancy though I have done nothing about it. Yours is looking very good. Do you have to make more blocks?

Dawn said...

Love this sashing with your blocks - beautiful!

Love Of Quilts said...

What a beauty this is going to be.