Thursday, October 17, 2019

a gift given

I was pleased to finish this quilt recently and give it to my mom.  It's a Kim Diehl pattern from the April 2014 Fons and Porter magazine.  I machine quilted it on my Juki machine  
 I wasn't sure how to quilt the appliqued center blocks.  In the end I learned that's it's not too difficult to free motion quilt outlining around the appliqué shapes just like I would do if I was handquilting.
 After that the borders were easy and fun.
 These pictures are all square...  I recently changed Iphones and lost a month's worth of pictures in the process.  Thankfully I had posted these pictures on Instagram so I was able to get them back from there.
 I gave it to my Mom last week when she was visiting.  I think she liked it :0)

The last 2 blocks of Hospital Sketches were quick to stitch up.  I'm a bit sad that the BOM is finished now.  It was fun to look forward to each new block release.
 I really like the triple tulip block.
 I changed around the final block a bit.  There was a picture of all 9 blocks together but I lost it too.  I will have to lay the blocks out again for a complete picture again soon.

This delightful little doll quilt arrived in the mail from Deb Anger from across Canada in the doll quilt swap I participated in.  The pieces are tiny!  I love these little trees.
 It was beautifully handquilted as well and has wonderful texture.
Happy Quilting!!

11 comments:

Kyle said...

Your applique quilt is beautiful and your quilting fills in the spaces perfectly. I know I gain more confidence every time I do some machine quiting. I bet you do too. The feathers in the border are fabulous.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh what a beautiful gift! I'm sure your Mom was elated. I admire your ability to machine quilt which is a tough thing for most of us "hand quilters". It cam out beautifully! I too am sad that the Hospital Sketches is over, but look forward to the next one. I hope you will be joining in again. Your blocks are just gorgeous.

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful finishes. Keep quilting as you get better every time.

Lori said...

What a lovely quilt!! I'm sure your mum loved it.
Deb's little swap quilt is so sweet. Looks like a lot of tiny pieces!!

Radka said...

I love your finished applique quilt, what a beauty! And I like the tulip block, very nice.
xx

Halland House Gifts said...

I love the design and colors of the quilt. They are saturated without feeling like a bag of Skittles. They are varied while still in keeping a dignified air. So beautiful. Your mother will treasure it for sure. Judy

Barb said...

I'm sure your mother will treasure it for years. What a gorgeous quilt.
your Hospital Sketches are lovely

audrey said...

Oh your quilt turned out so well! Just lovely. I'm sure your mother will be thrilled with it for a very long time.:)

Phyllis said...

What a beautiful quilt and what a lovely gift. Beautiful work and such comforting colors, I am sure your mum loves it.

Karen said...

Your mother was a very lucky recipient of a beautiful quilt. So much love in the making of it for her.

Love Of Quilts said...

I have always loved that pattern. Have never tied it. You did a beautiful job.